Friday 18 May 2012

FLOUR TORTILLAS



I love Mexican food!  I think it is so very tasty!  However, one of the key items needed to make Mexican food is the tortilla.  Recently I decided to make tacos for dinner but did not have any tortillas so I decided to make my own.  I adapted the recipe from a cookbook called "How To Make It in Korea." I acquired the cookbook when I lived in Korea for a little less than a year and half.  Now let's get to cooking.

The ingredients you will need are:

 

  • 2 cups Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 2 tsp Sugar (Optional)
  • 1/2 cup war/hot Milk
  • 1 TBSP Oil
  • 1/2 salt
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla (Optional)

Recipe Yield:  Approximately 6 small tortillas.  Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for bigger families or groups.
 
DIRECTIONS

1.  In a mixing bowl combine together the flour, baking powder, and sugar (Optional).










2.  In a second bowl combine the milk, oil, salt and vanilla (Optional).  Side note:  I like the flavour of vanilla so that so why I add it to the recipe.








 

3.  Add flour mixture to the milk mixture and blend together to make a soft dough.  If necessary, add a little bit more liquid (water or milk) to fully incorporate flour but have it remain a soft dough.







4.  Divide dough into equal sized parts of desired size.  Using a rolling pin roll dough ball flat and into a circular shape.






5.  Spray frying pan with cooking spray and cook over low to medium heat.  Check often and flip tortilla once small light brown spots appear and cook on the other side.  Be careful not to burn.  Repeat process until all tortillas are cooked.  Keep warm until ready to eat.



 

6.  Serve tortillas warm with your favourite fillings of choice.  I chose taco meat, refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa.   Side dish suggestions:  Spanish Rice,  Refried Beans, Chips & Salsa.  Yum!



7.  Wrap any leftovers with plastic wrap and store in fridge.  Warm up in microwave for a few seconds when ready to eat.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. WOW you made this look super easy and yummy! I love looking at your blog. A lot of cooking/baking seems so overwhelming, but you present your recipes in a way that seems manageable.
    I'm so excited to try some of these!
    Thanks Mandy!!!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- impressive- home made tortilla! who would of thought.

    ReplyDelete

http://passets-cdn.pinterest.com/images/about/buttons/pinterest-button.png http://passets-cdn.pinterest.com/images/about/buttons/big-p-button.png