Friday 1 June 2012

CHICKEN TACO SOUP


A few years ago, I was invited to a friend's place for dinner and she served this soup.  I had never had it before but I really liked it.  I have adapted the recipe she gave me and personalized it to better suit my tastes.  I hope you like it too.  Now let's get to cooking.

The ingredients you will need to make this soup are:


INGREDIENTS
 
  • 1 package of chicken breast fillets (tenders)
  • 1 1/2 cups mild salsa (or your favourite type)
  • 1 341 ml (11.53 fl oz) can of corn
  • 1 231 ml (7.8 fl oz) small can of tomato sauce
  • 1 398 ml (14 fl oz) can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 340 ml (11.49 oz) can of dark red kidney beans
  • 1 340 ml (19 fl oz) can of black beans
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups of hot water  (Note:  You may not need to use all of the water)

***Optional Recipe Variations:  Add small can of black olives, grated mozzarella cheese.

DIRECTIONS

1.  Place chicken fillets (tenders) in crock with salsa.  Stir.  Cook on low for 2.5 - 3 hours.  Check chicken at 2.5 hours to see if it is done.  If not turn temperature to high and finish cooking chicken.



2.  Once cooked shred chicken and stir with salsa until fully incorporated again.


 
3.  Rinse and drain corn, kidney beans, and black beans.  (I did this to remove excess salt and because I did not want an overly watery soup.  I like thicker soups).  Pour in the cans of corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and taco seasoning packet.  * If desired to thin out the soup add 1 - 1 1/2 cups of hot water.   Again you may not need all the water.  Gently stir in water until it is incorporated and you have reached the desired consistency.  Cook on high for one hour more.







4. Serve immediately and garnish with your favourite "Scoops" tortilla or corn chips, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.  Refrigerate any leftovers.



Enjoy your soup!

1 comment:

  1. My crock pot broke in my my moving. I clearly need to get another one!

    ReplyDelete

http://passets-cdn.pinterest.com/images/about/buttons/pinterest-button.png http://passets-cdn.pinterest.com/images/about/buttons/big-p-button.png